Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Struggle of Disappointment


Every leader will have to face the issue of disappointment. It is unavoidable because life and ministry never goes completely as we had hoped. The dictionary says that disappoint is: 1. to fail to meet the expectations, hopes, desires, or standards of; let down 2. to prevent the fulfilment of (a plan, intention, etc); frustrate; thwart

Sound familiar? Have you ever had kids fail to meet your expectations or hopes? Welcome to disappointment. How about that parents meeting you were so prepared for? We all work for imperfect churches or systems, so they result in times where we feel "let down", or they frustrate us with the roadblocks to our ideas. Welcome to disappointment.

The problem is that most leaders are ill-equipped to handle disappointment. We often are idealists--and can take the failure of expectations as a personal attack on our leadership. Disappointment is tiring...and discouraging. And leaders often don't know what to do with these feelings. So, we march on and pretend that we are o.k.

Of course, that works for a while--but, it always comes back to bite us. I have seen leaders leave a church thinking they were leaving the cause of disappointment, but the next church had new pockets of imperfection. We can't escape it.

And, what about when the disappointment is with God? THEN, it really gets tricky. We have a real hard time with this one. What if we feel like God isn't keeping His end of the bargain--How do we name that one? Kids aren't changing, attitudes still stink, the money isn't coming in, leaders aren't showing up, etc. We pray--but it still seems to be the same.

Oh, we can sound spiritual and pretend if we want. But, sometimes, we simply are disappointed with God. I am not talking about anger at God--rejection of God--or feeling like He isn't answering our prayers. I am talking about this sense that God COULD do more--and simply isn't for some reason.

Disappointment with God--and with aspects of ministry--has been in the forefront of my life over these past 16 months. As many know, I have struggled with pain every day since January of 2010. 3 surgeries, a blood clot, a swollen hand and now recurring pain in my hands and wrists make the simplest things extremely difficult. I have prayed. Friends have prayed. My church has prayed. People have laid hands on me. Yet, the outcome is not what I have hoped for. I am disappointed.

You can lay the guilt on me if you want--unconfessed sin, impure attitudes, etc. But, it doesn't work any more. It simply is.....I am disappointed. I am not giving up, preaching my doubts or walking away. I am simply naming the truth. We all are disappointed at times.

So, what do YOU do with this? How do YOU handle the reality that life, ministry, your job, parents, staff, your family, health, etc. doesn't always go the way that you want? What resources keep you faithful in the midst of disappointment? And, how/where can you be honest with all of this?

Every leader struggles with disappointment. How about you?

4 comments:

  1. Kathleen Johnson HellevikJune 2, 2011 at 6:09 PM

    OK I'll be the first to comment.:) I have found that the end result of continual disappointment is a newfound freedom to enjoy life just as it is. Marriage failures, kid issues, health issues, money issues . . . when you've been able to walk through these and come out the other side you are able to notice and appreciate every little thing that comes your way and be truly happy. For me it's that perfect cup of French Press coffee with just the right amount of cream in the morning, or the way my cat Cleveland takes so much care in preening himself, or driving my little car with the sunroof open jamming to Michael Jackson . . . I am not constantly seeking and striving for a perfection that could never happen in the first place. I am content to just let everyone and everything be.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,
    Thanks for your comment and perspective. While disappointment isn't always because we are looking for perfection--it is true that something in our expectations isn't met.
    Thanks for the reminder to be content in the little things..even if that is MJ and a sunroof!!
    Peace,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm disappointed with God. Over the last 8 years I've experienced significant financial loss, relationship loss, mum with cancer, friendship loss, unbelievable weight gain thru stress, adrenal fatigue & even after years of believing the promises in the Word (ESP Jeremiah 29:11)

    I've come to the realisation that those promises just aren't for me. I've systematically seen each segment of my life that brings me joy taken away from me, bit by bit. Not once has God stepped in for me even though I've prayed without ceasing, had faith & believed in the word for the last 8+ years. Now I'm just tired and would be quite happy to leave this world. Because all I've seen is that while other people go thru hard times, they have seasons of happiness & prosperity too, but that has eluded me - my night seasons just go on and on. So really what is the point. I'd rather not be here. God could have stepped in at any time - but chose not to. If we serve a God that wants to break people like he has done to me then I don't know anymore what to believe in. God is a disappointment in my life. And I'm obviously a big disappointment to God because the trials he sent my way have destroyed me instead of made me turn to him any more. Nothing makes sense. Thank goodness for sleeping pills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,

    First of all--thank you for your honesty. It is hard at times to figure out how God works--and how all of this fits together. I am very sorry that you have had this long and tough season that has drained your energy and sapped your faith.

    I hope this reply gets to you.

    As you write, you make a couple of conclusions that are very common--but ones that I would ask you to reconsider. The first is that this is a conclusive sign that God does not care and is not involved. Even the passage you cite is a good one--but note that this promise is after 70 years of exile in Babylon. That is one tough, long season. Read the Psalms--they are filled with honest, powerful laments to God. We don't lament too well these days--the Bible is filled with followers who honestly cried out to God in their pain--and finally found Him both present and loving in the end.

    The second is that this proves that YOU are a disappointment to God. That is a lie that can not be found in the Bible. I can understand how you feel that way, but my prayer is that you don't listen to that deception.

    I hope you are able to name this hurt with at least one other Christian friend. This kind of discouragement and disappointment that is not shared will only get bigger. Say it out loud to a trusted friend or counselor.

    If you want--please email me directly for some further conversation. It is tmcluen@youthleadership.org

    I will be praying for you. May God give you the kind of peace that doesn't make sense--and that can encourage your soul even if the storm continues.

    Tiger McLuen

    ReplyDelete